LWVLA is very pleased to provide each local League with the materials for the state pension study. They are attached here:
- Background paper
- Four further readings, and a glossary
- Leader’s Guide, including the consensus questions
- Eleven consensus questions in a stand-alone document
- All information is available online at https://lwvofla.org/
How important is it for your League to participate in the study and weigh in on the consensus questions for the pension study?
1. Credibility: very first LWVLA study in more than 20 years; developed rapport with the four state system staff members and current and past retirement chairs; their input from draft is included in background paper.
2. Action: haven’t had a national or Louisiana position on pensions to act on.
. Visibility: could be on the agendas of the House and Senate Retirement Committees to discuss our position this spring; can send an ex. summary of our background paper and our position to the legislators this spring and to the newly elected legislators and state officials after next fall’s elections
4. Informed civil discourse: A consensus meeting is stimulating and a model for local government.
The deadline for your League’s response to the consensus questions is FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2015
The Leader’s Guide discusses how to participate as a local League, some suggestions, and a recommended schedule. The study team will also send a Power Point to your League by mid-November.
Please e-mail or call Thetis Cusimano, Study Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 337-962-6954 (cell) if you have any questions.