Joanne Pettit – Chair — Criminal.Justice@lwvofla.org
- To educate members on the issues surrounding mass incarceration at national, state and local levels:
- By sharing current news and reports on criminal justice issues through regular newsletters
- By engaging topical speakers and co-sponsoring events with other non-profit, non-partisan organizations.
- To work with coalition partners on legislation to reform Louisiana’s correctional system. Partners include Louisianans for Prison Alternatives; VOTE (Voice of the Experienced); and Louisiana Youth Justice Coalition (Louisiana Center for Children’s Rights).
- To work with coalition partners to reduce recidivism rates through evidence-based reentry programs. Coalition under LA-PRI (Louisiana Prisoner Re-Entry Initiative).
- To advocate for reforms to Louisiana’s public defense funding, as set out in the LWVLA Public Policy Positions.
- To build membership and interest in the committee:
- By holding regular statewide and local meetings, in person and through conference calls
- By giving regular reports and updates to the committee on coalition activities
- By engaging and instructing members in the legislative process and providing opportunities for advocacy roles
- By encouraging members of all local leagues to promote and participate in criminal- justice-related activities in their home regions.